WSTA Leadership Scholarship
Washington Science Teachers Association (WSTA)
Science Leadership Scholarship
This scholarship is in recognition of the outstanding contributions of past and present outstanding leaders in science education.
For 2017, up to $2,000 in scholarship funds are available. Funds will be awarded to either:
· An individual (preference given to educators of underrepresented students in science -(African American, Hispanic, Native American, Asian and Pacific Islander and women) with an intent to become certified in science education or in elementary education with an emphasis in science, at a college or university in Washington State. Funds must be used to defray tuition or certification program costs.
· One or more certified teacher(s) or a team from a school and/or school district who show intent to improve their skills and/or knowledge in science education by attending science coursework offered from colleges, Educational Service District’s and/or organizations who meet WSTA’s goals and vision.
Interested individuals and/or teams are invited to submit a proposal. The Washington Science
Teachers Association Science Leadership Scholarship. Cover Page must be completed and attached to your proposal.
The proposal should outline what you would do if you were awarded this scholarship. The proposal should:
Guidelines for pre-service teachers:
· Scan and send a copy of completed coursework (unofficial transcripts are okay) from an accredited college or university.
· Provide an outline of the courses required to meet certification requirements. Include a description of the courses to be taken, their titles and the number of credits.
· Scan and send two letters of recommendation that indicate your suitability for the scholarship.
· Scan and send a letter of recommendation from an academic advisor indicating the academic advisor's assessment of both the viability of the plan and the applicant's commitment to pursue a career as a secondary science teacher or an elementary teacher with an emphasis in science education.
Guidelines for in-service teachers and/or teams:
· Explain how you and/or a team from a school and/or school district will improve teaching skills and/or knowledge in science education by completing science coursework offered from colleges, ESD’s and/or organizations who meet WSTA’s goals and vision.
· Provide a description of the course or training, including dates, costs and how this training will be used to improve the teaching of science.
· Scan and send one letter of support that indicate your and/or the team’s readiness to benefit from attending this professional learning opportunity. The letter can come from the superintendent, principal, or a fellow teacher.
· If it is a team application, submit a letter from the team stating their support for the training.
Email all questions and your application packet to Andy Boyd at firstname.lastname@example.org by
Tuesday, June 30th, 2017.
Did you know you can receive recognition on our website for cumulative donations of $500 or more to the WSTA Leadership Scholarship?
Criteria for being listed under the WSTA Leadership Scholarship based upon a donation:
Promoted or promoting professional knowledge and growth;
Maintained or maintaining a communication network to enhance high quality science education;
Facilitated or facilitating our state science standards;
Recognized or recognizing and rewarded for excellence in science education; and/or
Provided or providing a voice on science education polices and issues.